Sunday, September 5, 2010

An adventure already!

I have not even been here a full month and already there are so many new experiences. When I first got to my apartment, I was terrified to take a taxi anywhere...they are the easiest way to get around the city, and they are everywhere. There is a bus system but that is totally out of the question....too many people and the bus drivers drive worse than the taxi drivers....which is really bad! After two days of going through all the bad things that could happen to me I hopped in one and went! Easy as that...Well, kind of. The first time I was so nervous i forgot to ask him to turn on the meter=overcharged. On my way home (second time) the driver went a different, longer way=overcharged again. Thank goodness I have a friend who is willing to explain the entire process to me....'Blair, you cannot forget to say Taximetro before you even get in, if they say no, do not get in and you have to watch the way they go, so they don't rip you off" he goes on... " Do not take them by yourself after 5, most of them are pretty nice but you have to be careful because many of them are not legal." Lesson #1- There is a science to taking a taxi (well, it is more like using good common sense i guess...). I am happy to report I now have this taxi thing under control.
Lesson #2- No matter how many years you study a language, you never really learn until you enter that culture....This one I always knew, but has been reinforced yet again.....Sorry Alabama, you know I love you, but your spanish department is not your greatest strength. The cool thing here is that my spanish is just coming back....Yes, i have looked over my books, but I will find myself saying things that i didn't think I knew....so cool! I hope to come back fluent in the language....Quito is said to have some of the best Spanish in the world, there is a huge expat culture here and a ton of Spanish schools.
Lesson #3-Exploring by yourself can be very rewarding! Fairly comfortable with my taxi-taking skills, and my guidebook in hand, I decided to take a little trip to the Mariscal district yesterday morning. The Mariscal district is also known as "Gringoland"....it is the most touristy part of Quito where many backpackers stay. There are tons of hostels, good restaurants, and stores, and markets. I started off at the artist market...where the first person I noticed was a man in a safari hat, jimmy buffet shirt, and his camera hanging around his neck....yes, I was in the right place! (I hope i never scream tourist like that, I kind of felt bad for him actually.) Anyways, after the market I wandered the streets going in stores and trying different foods along the way...chocolate covered mango anyone? how about fresh squeezed fruit juice from some fruit I can't even pronounce?.....Don't mind if i do... Yesterday was so fun! I ended my adventure with a big bowl of ceviche and cheese empenadas:)
Lesson #4- I can teach!!! Well, I think......I have decided I want to be a very hands on teacher. Think back to your favorite teachers....they were not the ones that gave you ten thousand worksheets. I have found lots of resources online for ESL and I plan on incorporating games as much as possible and just loving these kids...I am teaching 8th grade and so this is the last year these kids will be at the foundation, who knows were they will go next year but I need to be there for them this year! They come tomorrow!!! I am probably more nervous than they are so we will see how everything goes!

1 comment:

  1. You are a writer!! I am write there with you and think your writing is very much like Karen Brown speaks on her travel shows. Blair, this is - how do I say?? soooooo special. We are discovering new things about ourselves. Keep it coming. I will spread your blog from my blog.

    ReplyDelete