Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Week of School!!

this week was the first week of school, and all of a sudden I am an English teacher...kind of strange. It went very well considering I was more nervous than all of the students combined. The first day I had them go around the room and say their name and what they did on their summer vacation, which proved to be a bigger task than I thought. Most students did not know how to answer, and some knew how to answer but did not open their mouths--they just stared. So, I am thinking we will need to do a whole lot of review! Which, I remember coming back from summer and not remembering a whole lot. I decided we would do things as a group....something fun that would ease their nerves. Something simple. So, we sang the ABC's, sang head, shoulders, knees, and toes, and played other vocabulary games....success!!! Each grade took to this great, even if it was easy for them (which, I am not sure it was) it was fun and helped get them talking (a little). Tomorrow I will give them a review test from last year, so I hope to get a better idea this week of what they know....Maybe I can teach!
After I finished my week I decided to go on another adventure this weekend...It is my goal to do something new every weekend. This week I chose to go to the historic district....think Paris+3rd world country+ hills of San Fran and you've got the historic District! I loved it....there are zillions of churches and museums to explore. My favorite churches were the plain, old, dark ones....wow, that sounds pretty bad! Having been to Europe last year, these "plain" ones were so different but had so much character at the same time....simple beauty. I went into the San Fransisco monestary and Museum which, if you ever go to Quito it is such a cool little place....I am sure that will not be my last visit there. My adventure would not be complete without great food! I ate at the restaurant below the museum, which was so good and had a perfect view of the plaza. Another weekend escapade ends in success!!!!
This week I am starting to tutor English after school and I am meeting with the director to get this child/student sponsorship rolling. Weekend plans? Taking the cable car to the top of pinchincha volcano!! Stay tuned folks....

1 comment:

  1. A perfect description - Paris plus 3rd world plus hills of San Fran. Well, you little well traveled chick, I am impressed. Keep writing. Mom

    ReplyDelete